Harrisville Community Church
The Community Church of Harrisville and Chesham was formed from Chesham Baptist Church and Harrisville Congregational Church. The Churches are one entity (financially and in worship), and are represented by both the United Church of Christ and American Baptist Church denominations. Worship services are typically held in the larger brick church in Harrisville in fall, winter and spring, and in the smaller church in Chesham during the summer and early fall months.
The Chesham Baptist Church dates back to 1785. The church building was originally built in 1797, re-modeled in 1830, and again re-modeled in 1844.
Set back from the canal, the Harrisville village church is only a few steps from Island Cemetery. Both were financed principally by Bethuel Harris who spent much of his later years concerned with religious and cultural improvements in the mill village. The brick building is Greek Revival in style, with heavy granite lintels over twin entrances, a large white pediment, and a graceful spire. The robust, eight-panel doors with wrought iron latches and surrounding sidelights are probably original, as are the very large fixed windows on the lateral sides of the building. In the 1990s, new granite steps replaced the original ones.